PDA

View Full Version : Origin of the Spinnaker

cleusk
March 5th, 2008, 10:44 PM
The Spinnaker became part of SFOT in 1977 and was located near the Oil Derrick. It was created by a German inventor named Anton Schwarzkopf. He was born in Behlingen, Germany in 1924. His family moved then moved to the city of Münsterhausen. His father opened a business which made caravans and trailers for traveling circuses. In 1954, the company switched to the amusement park construction business by making alterations on pre-existing rides. Meanwhile, Anton earned a degree in craftsmanship and got married. In 1957, he built his own self-designed ride called the Düsenspirale at the behest of the Löffelhardt Company. In 1960, Anton finally took over his father's company. In 1964, he built his first full steel rollercoaster, which was called The Wildcat. After a series of successful endeavors, he gained a strong reputation in Europe. Anton Schwarzkopf's company had 200 to 250 employees. INTAMIN, the company which was responsible for the Oil Derrick, served as his representative when making deal with companies outside of Germany. One such company was Six Flags, Inc. Although Schwarzkopf called it The Enterprise, Six Flags renamed it the Spinnaker. The ride became an instant hit.

Krista 96-02
March 6th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Sir Schwarzkopf. The man behind the Shockwave as well.

This ride now resides as the Wagon Wheel at Fiesta Texas.

Lynda Carter (the body behind Wonder Woman) was also present at the Grand Opening.

Alan Cochrum
March 6th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Are you sure it's the same ride? :confused: When I rode it over the summer, it looked a lot smaller than I remember the Spinnaker being.

Krista 96-02
March 6th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Are you sure it's the same ride? :confused: When I rode it over the summer, it looked a lot smaller than I remember the Spinnaker being.
100% positive.

cleusk
March 6th, 2008, 10:44 PM
Sir Schwarzkopf.

Does that mean he's a British German? I didn't know the Queen knighted Germans. Maybe we should hook him up with Sir Lancelot so they can have a town hall meeting over the topic of African swallows and their treatment of coconuts.

thecloak
March 7th, 2008, 06:33 AM
Possibly off-topic here, but has anyone seen this site??

http://www.csus.edu/indiv/s/shawg/articles/facilities/six_flags_timeline.html

cleusk
March 7th, 2008, 08:29 AM
Been there. Done that.

thecloak
March 7th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I figured you probably had.

billdun262
March 7th, 2008, 04:43 PM
I think Schwarzkopf built the Big Bend as well. If I'm not mistaken, he invented the spiral lift roller coaster.

Krista 96-02
March 7th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Yes, Schwarzkopf did Big Bend too; an interesting fact lies in that some of Big Bend's brakes currently reside on Shockwave, since parts from the same coaster designer tend to be interchangeable between all rides they make.

I don't know about him inventing the spiral lift coaster; this may be the first I've heard of that, but I think it's very possible.

Parktimes
March 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
100% positive.

I would agree with that. :yes:

cleusk
March 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
It's amazing how much impact people can make if they try hard enough.